Veterans Services

Thank you for your service!

Manchester Community College welcomes all veterans, service members and their families. We are committed to your academic success and professional development. This site is dedicated to providing you with the tools and resources to be successful students.

Manchester Community College page on Military Friendly website


  1. Apply for Admission
    • Fill out MCC application online  or in person
    • Submit proof of high school completion (transcript, copy of diploma, or GED)
    • Submit official transcripts from prior colleges attended and/or military service (transcripts must be evaluated by Admissions Office prior to course selection)
    • Provide proof of MMR and varicella.
  2. Apply for Financial Aid
    Complete the Free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.   FAFSA determines your eligibility for grants and low/no interest loans, based on your previous year’s earnings. MCC ‘s school code is 001392.
  3. Determine Course Placement/Review Assessment Test Information

    Due to the campus closure,  traditional assessment testing is currently unavailable.  In lieu of the Accuplacer test, we are placing students based on a combination of measurement tools, such as cumulative high school GPA and SAT/ACT Scores.

    Please send all high school transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, or college transcripts to the Admissions Office via email at, via Naviance or via Parchment.

    • SAT/ACT Scores: MCC reviews the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Score, the breakdown of Reading and Writing Scores, and the Match Score.
    • High School Transcripts: Students that have graduated within the last ten years can request transcripts from their high schools.
    • GED Transcripts:  MCC reviews the Reasoning Through Language Arts and Mathematical Reasoning scores.
    • College Transcripts: Official transcripts will be evaluated based on your declared major.  Electronic transcripts sent from the sending institution (not to the student and then forwarded) are preferred at this time.
    • If English is not the primary language you read and write: We will assist you in selecting the appropriate English course to ensure your academic success. Take a moment to fill out the ESL questionnaire and our ESL Coordinator will contact you.

    Please visit the Assessment Testing webpage or call the Testing Center for for more information at 860-512-3590.

  4. Attend New Student Orientation
    All new students and incoming transfer students need to complete the New Student Orientation course. The orientation will teach you how to navigate our college’s procedures and tools, how to register for your classes, and how to connect with an MCC Advisor, as you must meet with a Counselor to complete your Curriculum Sheet and Veterans Benefits Contract. If you plan to receive GI Bill benefits, you must register for courses in your declared program of study (this includes non-credit prerequisites). Additional courses must be paid for out-of-pocket.
  5. Apply for Military Educational Benefits Online
    Complete the application at
  6. Chapter Benefits
    Once you have applied for your educational benefits, bring your Certificate of Eligibility, Advisor-signed Veterans Benefits Contract and Degree Works, and a copy of your DD214 to the SCO to be certified for your benefits and, if applicable, have your bill stamped.
  7. CT Tuition Waiver
    If you are using a CT Tuition Waiver only, bring your bill along with a copy of your DD214 to the SCO to have your bill stamped.

Student Responsibilities to Receive Benefits

All students receiving Veterans educational benefits are required to comply with all applicable federal regulations and all institutional policies and procedures. We strongly encourage that you complete a FAFSA and take advantage of any grant or student loans.

Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606 all require an initial online application for Educational Benefits at, using VA Forms 22-1990, 5490, or 1995, depending on the conditions of a given situation. Also, each semester, please adhere to the following:

If Chapter 30 (Active Duty MGIB):

  • Submit DD-214 (or verify on file); Complete Degree Works and Veterans Benefits Contract (VBC) provided by an Advisor at a Next Step Advising session; Bring VBC and Degree Works documents to School Certifying Official (SCO).

If Chapter 31 (Vocational  Rehabilitation):

  • Contact Voc Rehab representative for authorization to receive benefits; Complete Degree Works and Veterans Benefits Contract (VBC) provided by an Advisor at a Next Step Advising session; Bring VBC and Degree Works documents to School Certifying Official (SCO).

If Chapter 33 (Post 9/11):

  • Submit DD-214 to SCO in the Veterans OASIS, L101.
    **Guard members must provide SCO with Letter of Good Standing each semester (obtained through their Guard Unit), and should apply at least 2 months prior to the start of the semester.
  • Complete Degree Works and Veterans Benefits Contract (VBC) provided by an Advisor at a Next Step Advising session; Bring VBC and Degree Works documents to SCO.
  • If you have received benefits at a previous school, you must submit VA form 22- 1995 “Request for Change Program or Place Training” available at

If Chapter 35:

  • Submit DD-214 of veteran on file to Veterans OASIS, L101 (or verify on file).
  • Provide Certificate of Eligibility
  • Complete Degree Works and Veterans Benefits Contract (VBC) provided by an Advisor at a Next Step Advising session; Bring VBC and Degree Works documents to SCO.

If Chapter 1606:

  • Submit Letter of Good Standing from your Unit (DD Form 2384, if a National Guardsmen) to the SCO in the Veterans OASIS, L101.
  • Provide Certificate of Eligibility
  • Complete Degree Works and Veterans Benefits Contract (VBC) provided by an Advisor at a Next Step Advising session; Bring VBC and Degree Works documents to SCO.

If Connecticut Tuition Waiver Only:

Submit your DD-214, CT Driver’s License (or alternate proof of CT residency), and current bill from Bursar’s Office to SCO in L101, to get it stamped each semester.

Navigating the Transition from Military to College

  1. Go to the OASIS, located in the Student Services Center, Room L101.
  2. Start with a few courses to ease into the transition. If possible, choose a mix of courses that use different skills and include varying amounts of reading and written assignments. (For example, math and English, science and music or social sciences/history).
  3. Take notes during class or record lectures to ensure that you stay on top of the material.
  4. Find a quiet and comfortable location and take notes while reading. This will help you to retain the information. Be sure to build in several short breaks, more if you find yourself easily distracted.
  5. Take advantage of the school’s resources such as the Academic Support Center, tutoring, counseling and the OASIS. If it’s been several years since you were in school, seek out the many academic and counseling resources available.
  6. Consider joining a student organization as a way to break down barriers between you and other students. In addition to joining the college’s student VETS Club, you might consider getting involved in other on-campus activities. Such involvement may help you to feel more connected to other students and the larger campus community.
  7. Recognize that others may not agree with you or understand your service in the military. Agree to disagree – nearly everyone has an opinion about war and the military.  Respectfully decline to answer any question that makes you feel uncomfortable.
  8. Exercise to help reduce anxiety.
  9. Learn to recognize your own signs of stress and seek help before you are overwhelmed.
  10. Get plenty of rest, exercise and eat right – these habits will help keep you strong physically and mentally.

Information on Receiving Benefits

Once admitted to MCC, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 and/or NOBE and a copy of your VA Letter of Eligibility to the Veterans OASIS, located in SSC L101.

Note: Family members eligible for Chapter 35 benefits must have your sponsor’s DD-214

Once you have registered for classes and have applied for your veterans education benefits, you MUST meet with the SCO for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office.  Veterans are certified ONLY for those classes that are required for their degree program.  It is your responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree-required courses to qualify for full-time benefits. If you take less than 12 hours, you should make sure that all courses are required in your program. Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits.

Note: Certification of your enrollment to the regional VA Office for processing can initially take up to 12 weeks.


It is the student’s responsibility to meet with an advisor to complete the Degree Works and Veterans Benefits Contract each semester you plan to take a course. Certification is not automatic.   All enrollment changes such as add/drop, withdrawals or switching courses MUST be reported to the MCC SCO, who will review your enrollment to ensure it meets the requirements set forth by the VA.

Matriculation (Courseload)

Any change in matriculation status (full time to part time, leave of absence, withdrawal from the college) must be reported to Veterans Services and/or MCC SCO.

Change of Major

To change a major, students must:

Changes to a student’s major will delay certification and payment. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with an advisor as early as possible to avoid delay in payment. Coursework for the new major will not be certified until the new Degree Works is on file with the SCO.  The VA will make the final approval on all program major changes.

Verification of Enrollment: Chapter 30 and 1606

Anyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify his or her enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll-free interactive voice response telephone line at 877- 823-2378. (Chapter 33 & 35 students do not need to verify with WAVE). Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE. The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions. For instance, students may:

  • Verify that their enrollment has not changed
  • Report a change in their enrollment
  • Change their mailing address
  • Initiate or change their direct deposit information
  • View their enrollment period
  • View their monthly rate
  • Sign up for a monthly e-mail reminder

Students can only phone in (877-823-2378) their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month. If there were changes in the enrollment the student must use the WAVE system or speak with a benefits counselor at 888-442-4551.

Direct Deposit

Students receiving Chapter 30, 33, 35, and 1606 benefits have the option to have VA payments deposited directly into a checking/savings account of their choice.  Apply at or call 888-442-4551 to set up an account or to update current direct deposit account information.


VA Benefit checks are sent directly to the address the student indicated on the application. Payment is based on the dates the required class meets. Payment of benefits usually occurs between the first and the 15th of each month and is paid for the previous month. Inquiries may be made directly with the VA at their toll free number, 888-442-4551.

Veterans OASIS and Veterans Services at MCC

Veterans OASIS Coordinator
Student Services Center, L101

Career and Veterans’ Services Director
Student Services Center, L127

The Veterans OASIS is staffed by MCC’s OASIS Coordinator/School Certifying Official (SCO), veteran students and work-study assistants, who are all dedicated to meeting the educational and transitional needs of veterans at MCC.

Mission Statement

The Veterans OASIS provides a dedicated, supportive space for veterans and military service men and women to network, socialize, study and share, as they integrate into the college experience.

The OASIS is used by MCC’s VETS Club to hosts its bimonthly meetings.  The VETS Club is governed by Student Activities.

For more information about the VETS Club, please email James Gentile or Michelle LaBelle (Club Advisors)

The Veterans OASIS provides access to:

  • School Certifying Official (SCO), by appointment
  • Computers, military websites, vet resources
  • Tutoring services (by appointment, when available)
  • Guidance regarding VA Benefits
  • Social, educational and networking opportunities
  • A meeting place with VA personnel, as needed

Policies and Guidelines


Veterans are certified only for those classes that are required for their degree program. It is the student’s responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree-required courses to qualify for full-time benefits. If a student takes fewer than 12 hours, he/she should make sure that all courses are required in their program. Students must be enrolled for seven or more credits to be eligible for Basic Housing Allowance (BAH).  Veteran Education Benefits are certified on a semester basis. Please go to to apply for benefits.

Concurrent Enrollment

Please visit the Veterans Services Office if you are enrolled concurrently at another college/university.

Repeated Courses

The VA will not pay for repeat courses, unless to complete a major requirement where an F was earned, or the course is required to progress in your major. In most cases, students will not receive benefits to repeat a course that has already been completed successfully. However, there are instances where this may be waived, on a case by case basis.

Auditing and Correspondence Courses

Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as course load qualifying for benefits.

Continuation of VA Benefits

Due to the high volume of requests for certification each semester, all veterans are required to submit their schedule bills and all other required forms together, in order for the Certifying Official to review all paperwork before certifying the student. If you are a continuing student, you must attend a Next Step Advising Session. The earlier you submit your schedule and paperwork, the sooner you will be processed for your benefits. Also, note that MCC cannot guarantee when you will receive your benefits. Be advised that any schedule revisions or class changes may cause delays in processing your request.

Extending your VA Benefits

If you are using either Chapter 30 or Chapter 35 benefits, you may be able to request an extension of your benefits. You can submit a written request for an extension of your VA benefits to the VA Regional Office.

Status Change

If you change from full-time to part-time status you must inform the certifying official.

Minimum GPA Requirement

Students receiving VA educational benefits (veterans, reservists and family members) must maintain satisfactory progress. This is a VA requirement. If the student on VA benefits falls below a 2.0 GPA over two consecutive semesters, this is reported to the VA as unsatisfactory progress and benefits are suspended. To reinstate your benefits, you must complete one semester with a 2.0 or higher GPA.


If you do not attend class, you are not entitled to benefits. If you stop attending a class, you must officially drop it and report the drop to the Veteran Services Office or the SCO. Federal law requires that students report any changes in enrollment status which might affect VA educational benefits to the school and the VA.

Note: Although the School Certifying Official monitors student attendance, it is imperative that you report any changes in your enrollment status to him/her IMMEDIATELY. When there is an overpayment, the VA will withhold future payments, or ask for repayment of the overpaid benefits. Depending on the situation, they can take you to court, charge interest, withhold future tax refunds, attach wages, put a lien on property or deny home loans.

Contact Information and Resources

VA Services

  • Hartford Vet Center: 860-563-8800
  • VA Health Benefits: 877-222-8387
  • Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255
  • VA Benefits: 800-827-1000
  • VA Regional Office: 800-827-1000
  • VA Medical Center: 860-666-6951
  • Wave Automated Verification of Enrollment: 877-823-2378 or go to

Useful Websites

MCC Veteran Support Contacts

Academic Support Center
Brian Cleary, Coordinator

Mariah Thomas, Associate Director (Interim)

Advising and Counseling Services
(860) 512-3320
Wanda Reyes-Dawes, Counselor

Bursars Office
Patricia Veo, Bursar

Career and Veteran’s Services
Julie Greene, Director

Disability  Services
Joe Navarra, Coordinator

Financial Aid
Anna Torres, Director

Registrar’s Office
Anita Sparrow, Registrar

Student Affairs
Veterans OASIS
Student Services Center, L101

Veterans Certifying Official
Michelle LaBelle

Military Transcripts and Records

The Joint Service Transcript (CCAF Transcript for Air Force) is accepted by Manchester Community College and approved by the American Council on Education. You can submit your transcript to MCC to be evaluated for college credit.

  • Department of Defense DANTES Joint Service Transcript
  • Request an Official Joint Services Transcript (JST)
  • National Archives
    The National Archives is able to provide military personnel records for proof of military service and for genealogical research. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records by submitting a request to the National Archives.
  • National Center for PTSD
    This organization’s aim is to advance the clinical care and social welfare of U.S. veterans through research, education and training on PTSD and stress-related disorders.
  • Veterans Administration
    The Veterans Administration provides patient care and other veterans benefits.
  • Vet Centers
    Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling and outreach services to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Services are also available for their family members for military related issues.
  • Veterans with Disabilities in Higher Education
    The website offers a host of resources including online information related to veterans and student veterans with disabilities, courses that may be of interest for continuing education credits or for general knowledge, as well as a list of books.

Translating Military-to-Civilian Experience

It can be difficult to translate military training and experience to civilian language. The following resources are useful for building a resume for civilian employers.

Veterans Organizations

Many “veteran friendly” organizations exist and it can be difficult to determine which organization have the best intentions. The following  organizations are ones that we have found to be helpful.

  • State of Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs
  • American Legion
    The American Legion is a patriotic, war-time veterans organization that is devoted to mutual helpfulness.
  • Disabled American Veterans
    The DAV organization is dedicated to building better lives for America’s disabled veterans and their families.
  • National Association of Black Veterans
    NABVETS provides strategic advocacy on behalf of its membership to Congress, the federal administration, state administrations and other agencies and organizations. NABVETS provides personal advocacy on behalf of veterans seeking claims against the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, advocacy for youth in all matters required for successful passage into adulthood, advocacy on behalf of families, advocacy in creating positive lifestyles for veterans and advocacy to generate and preserve the historical record.
  • Student Veterans of America
    SVA is a coalition of student veterans groups from college campuses across the United States.
  • Vietnam Veterans of America
    This is the only national Vietnam veterans organization congressionally chartered and exclusively dedicated to Vietnam-era veterans and their families.

Additional Resources

School Certifying Officials 

Michelle LaBelle, Veterans Services Associate

860-512-3375 or

Julie Greene, Director of Career and Veterans Services

860-512-3372 or

For more information, contact Veterans Services in the OASIS at 860-512-3362.