Get ready for college in six weeks!
Free-of-charge for academically eligible students age 17 to 24!
STARS supports students from admission to graduation from MCC. STARS begins with a six-week, pre-college summer program that runs from mid-June to mid-August and is designed to prepare you for the academic year ahead. Prior to beginning your first semester at MCC, you attend classes and workshops on campus Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and take educational trips Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The program provides you with the opportunity to:
- Practice and reinforce reading, writing and math skills
- Retake the English and Math assessment tests to determine your placement in college-level courses
- Earn up to 7 college credits including:
- SD 102: Bridge to College (3 credits)
- Math Lab (3 credits)
- Benefit from one-on-one guidance from tutors and peer mentors
- Develop time management and study skills
- Learn how to balance school work and family commitments
- Take cultural enrichment trips
- Enjoy campus activities
- Get comfortable with your future
- Feel good about yourself
Once you complete the summer program and continue studying at MCC, you will take a 1-credit study skills course in the fall and participate in ongoing trips, tutoring and enrichment workshops. As an added advantage, a program coordinator will continue to support and guide you as you progress toward earning your degree.
Note: STARS is a U.S. Department of Education Trio program.
Are You Eligible?
To participate in STARS, you must satisfy the following income and academic criteria:
- Recent high school graduate age 17 to 24
- Eligible for financial aid and/or first generation college student
- Accuplacer test results place you in developmental English courses ENG* 093 or ENG* 096
Once you qualify to participate in STARS, there are no charges for:
- Classroom supplies (notebooks, folders, pencils, etc.)
- CT Transit bus pass during the summer program duration
- Tuition coverage for up to 7 college credits
- Cultural enrichment activities and trips
Easy Steps to Apply
- Complete the MCC Admissions Application
- Sign up to take the MCC Assessment Test (English and Math Accuplacer)
- Complete the Stars Application
For more information or to set up an appointment, please visit or call our office.
Location and Hours: Student Services Center (SSC), L108, Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Office Phone: For general information, please call 860-512-3330.
Program Coordinators: To call or email our staff, please use the contact information below.
STARS Math Coordinator
STARS English Coordinator
STARS Enrollment Coordinator
STARS Summer Program
Manchester Community College
First Year and New Student Programs
Great Path, MS #8
P.O. Box 1046
Manchester, CT 06045-1046
We will also be happy to send you additional information through the mail if you complete the form below.