Start on your path to college success! Free-of-charge! Space is limited!
Smart Start is a credit-free program designed to enhance your basic English and math skills. Smart Start provides a pathway for you to transition toward college-level ENG* 101: Composition and college-level mathematics.
You will need ENG* 101 and at least on college-level math course to earn a Manchester Community College associate degree or certificate.
In one semester, you will:
- Improve your reading and writing ability, learn grammar and
punctuation rules, and build study skills through classroom instruction.
- Increase your arithmetic and algebraic problem-solving skills through an 11-week, independent-study course, Basic Math Concepts.
- Receive tutoring in English and math.
- Identify your career interests and skills you will need to achieve your goals.
Once you complete the program, you will have the opportunity to retest. Test scores determine your placement in English and math courses.
Easy Steps to Enroll
- Complete the MCC Application.
- Take the MCC Assessment Test (English and Math Accuplacer).
- Contact the Smart Start Coordinator to set up an appointment.
To set up an appointment with the Smart Start Coordinator, please visit or call our office.
Office Location and Hours: Student Services Center (SSC), L108, Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Office Phone: For general information, please call 860-512-3330.
Smart Start Program Coordinator
If you prefer, we’re happy to contact you to discuss the program; please complete the form below.