Academic Advising FAQs

  1. What is an Academic Advisor? At MCC, an Academic Advisor is a professionally trained counselor, faculty, or staff member, whose primary goal is to guide you through your academic journey. Counselors are also academic advisors, in addition to the assistance that they provide with personal and crisis counseling.
  2. What can I expect from an Academic Advisor?
  • To provide you with timely and accurate information regarding degree and certificate programs
  • To help you create a plan for completion of your degree and or certificate
  • To discuss transfer opportunities available through established articulation agreements
  • To inform you of the various support services (i.e. tutors, financial aid, accommodations for learning, physical or psychological disabilities, mentoring, student retention services)
  1. What does an Academic Advisor expect from me?
  • To keep your scheduled appointments. If you are not able to keep your appointment with the Academic Advisor, your responsibility is to call or email and let him/her know that you are unable to meet.
  • To be prepared with any relevant information to ensure your appointment will be productive (i.e. having a list of prepared questions and concerns).
  • To inform him/her of any issues or struggles that you are having in class in a timely manner.  This will help ensure that appropriate steps are taken to assist you.
  1. What are Advising Weeks?

Advising Weeks is a six (6) week academic advising initiative on campus, and takes place during spring (March-May) and fall (October-December) semesters.  All students are encouraged to see and meet with their assigned Academic Advisors.  Faculty advisor’s office hours will be posted outside of their office doors and in course syllabi.  Counselors’ hours can be found at the following link:

  1. What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course you need to either be eligible for or have completed and passed with a grade of C or better prior in order to register for another course.

  1. How many credits do I need to be considered a full-time student?

A full-time status is 12 or more semester hours or credits in any given semester. A student registered for anything less than 12 semester hours or credits is considered part-time.

  1. Who is my assigned academic advisor?

Your assigned academic advisor depends greatly on your declared major/program of study.  For example, if you are pursuing a Liberal Arts & Sciences (LA&S) degree, you would be assigned to the LA&S program coordinator.  If you have not yet declared a major, you would meet with a Counselor in the Academic Advising & Counseling office. 

To learn who your assigned academic advisor is, click on Academic Advisor Directory or access your myCommNet account as follows: 

  1. Login to myCommNet at
  2. Click on Banner Self-Service link or icon on the top right-hand side of the page.  See example below.
  1. If you have attended more than one college, make sure to select Manchester Community College.
  2. Click the Student Records tab. 
  3. Click the Advisor and Major tab.  See example below.
Registered for Term: No
First Term Attended: Fall 2005
Last Term Attended: Fall 2006
Status: Active
Residence: In-State
Citizenship: U.S. Citizen
Student Type: Non-Credit
Class: Non-Credit
Academic Standing Status: Good Standing
Academic Standing Term: Fall 2006
Primary Advisor: Wanda I. Reyes-Dawes
Expected Graduation Date: Jun 01, 2022
Expected Graduation Term: Spring 2022
Expected Graduation Year: 2021 – 2022 Academic Year
Student Information effective from Spring 2017 to

Student Information effective from Spring 2017

Registered for Term: No

First Term Attended: Fall 2016

Last Term Attended: Spring 2017

Status: Active

Residence: In-State

Citizenship: U.S. Citizen

Student Type: Credit

Class: Credit

Academic Standing Status: Good Standing

Academic Standing Term: Spring 2017

Primary Advisor:  Your assigned academic advisor’s name will be listed here.

Expected Graduation Date: June 1, 2022

Expected Graduation Term: Spring 2022

Expected Graduation Year:  2021 – 2022 Academic Year

  1. Is it mandatory to meet with my assigned academic advisor?

No, it is not mandatory, however, every student is highly encouraged to meet with his/her assigned academic advisor. Students who meet with an advisor are more likely to stay on track with their degree and/or certificate program.


  1. What if I can’t locate my academic advisor?

You can access this information by clicking on Academic Advisor Directory, finding your advisor’s name (based on your major) and his/her contact information. 

Email format for reaching any faculty/staff on campus is as follows: first name initial, last name followed by  Example:

In addition, you can access this information through your myCommNet account.  If you are unable to locate your academic advisor, feel free to check with the program coordinator/department chair, whose name is listed on the Academic Advisor Directory. 

  1. What is the Assessment Placement test?

The Assessment Placement test, which is free and administered at MCC, is a computerized test to determine your English and math starting levels. You will receive your test results at the end of the testing session. You can sign up for the Assessment Placement test by going to the following link:

  1. What happens if my assessment test results are not at the college-level?

If you are a new student, you would be registering and attending a New Student Orientation.  During this time, you will receive guidance regarding your scores and what courses you are able to register for based on that information.

  1. What office should I go to declare or change my major?

You can visit the Registrar’s Office at any time to obtain a Change in Curriculum Form, or you can retrieve the form by visiting the website, go to the Resources tab and then click on the Find a Form link: /form-depot/

  1. Will I be impacted if degree requirements change? What should I do?

No, not necessarily.  Once you have declared a major/program of study, you need to continue to follow the curriculum sheet based on that particular academic year.  If, however, you are unable to continue your education for a period of two years or more, you would need to follow the new curriculum sheet for that academic year.  If you have any doubts, please feel free to contact the Registrar’s Office at 860-512-3220.

  1. What if I want to withdraw from a course during the semester?

You can withdraw during each semester.  However, there is a designated date where you can withdraw without any academic penalty (no negative reflection in your student record).  However, you will see a W instead of an actual grade.  Beyond the designated date, you would need to speak with your professor(s) and get permission to do so.  Remember, it is up to the discretion of the professor(s) to grant a withdrawal beyond the designated date.  If you receive financial aid and withdraw from a course, you may end up with a bill for the cost of that course.  ALWAYS check with the Financial Aid Office before you withdraw.

  1. How do I retrieve my grades?

You can access your grades by following these steps:

  1. Login to myCommNet at
  2. Click on Banner Self-Service link or icon at the top of the page. Click on Student Records.  See below.
  3. Click the Check Grades and then the Grades/Registration History
  4. This form will show your Final Grades for semesters you have attended.
  1. Where do I find what courses I am required to take for my degree?

You can obtain a curriculum sheet/program of study by going to the online catalog via our MCC website at /catalogs/ or you can visit either the First Year Programs Office in the Student Services Center (SSC) building in L108 or the Advising & Counseling Services Office in L120.

  1. How long will it take me to complete my degree?

On average, MCC students complete their degrees within 2.5-3 years.  In order to complete a degree in 2 years, students must enroll in 5 classes each semester (15 credits), AND take course(s) over the summer and winter sessions.

  1. Where do I go to discuss my plan to transfer to a four-year college?

You are encouraged to meet with any of the following: program coordinator, assigned academic advisor, counselor/advisor, or division director.  It is to your benefit to meet early on during your time at MCC.  For example, if you know for sure that you plan to transfer and where you plan to transfer to, schedule an appointment by your second semester.  If you are a part-time student, you can determine to do so by the third semester.

  1. How can I best prepare for an advising session?

You should have the following items:

  • Bring your degree program’s curriculum sheet, make sure it reflects when you declared your major/program of study
  • A copy of your unofficial transcript
  • Your Banner ID and myCommNet password
  • A list of your questions