Advising and Counseling

The Advising and Counseling Services staff assists you, our student, with the development of meaningful educational plans that are compatible with your life and career goals.

Office Services and Resources

Continuing Students

Congratulations on completing the Fall 2016 semester!  If you haven’t  done so already, register for your Spring 2017 courses; classes are filling up quickly.

For you convenience, Walk-Ins are now available Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:30 – 3:30 p.m., Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. in SSC L120.  This is on a first come, first serve basis.  There are limited amount of scheduled appointments for Tuesday evenings until 6:30 p.m.  Contact Mr. Robert Turner for an evening appointment at (860) 512-3328.


Below are some key dates as you plan your Spring 2017 semester:

Month Date Event
January        12                                                                                                                                                                   Assessment Testing
  13 Last Challenge Essay Begins
  14 Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, Advising, Testing and Bursar open from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
  19 Spring 2017 Classes Begin
  25 Last Day to Add Courses
 February 01 Last Day of 50 Percent Drop Period

Things to keep in mind:

  • Meet with your assigned advisor (program coordinator, department chair, faculty advisor, counselor liaison, etc.). If you are planning to transfer, schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor and/or counselor liaison by your second semester.
  • Scheduled Appointments: To schedule an advising appointment, please contact 860-512-3320, or visit Advising and Counseling Services in the Student Services Center, SSC L120.
  • Not sure about a major/program of study? You are encouraged to visit the Career Services office located in the Student Services Center (SSC) L120 to explore potential majors via the online FOCUS2 career assessment tool.
  • Make sure to renew your FAFSA online application for the upcoming 2016-17 academic year. If you need assistance, visit the Financial Aid Office in the Student Services Center, SSC L177, or call (850) 512-3380.
  • Where do I go for academic support? The Academic Support Center (ASC) provides one-on-one, in-person tutoring; a writing and math lab (walk-in basis); as well as eTutoring services. For more information, contact 860-512-2610 or visit the office located in the SSC L282.
  • Review your unofficial transcript for overall status, i, e., academic standing, GPA standing, combined academic standing, Incompletes, declared major, contact information, etc.
  • Purchase needed textbooks early on. You can purchase your books in the MCC Bookstore, which are offered as follows: new, used, and the Rental Program (not all books are available within the Rental Program). If purchasing textbooks in an online site, be sure to be mindful of having the correct ISBN number, correct edition, and consider the turnaround time for delivery.
  • Veterans – Make sure you meet with a counselor to complete your Veterans Benefits Contract, unless you are only seeking tuition waiver.
  • Apply for MCC Foundation Scholarships by designated deadlines.

Remember, you are getting closer to your goals. Keep moving forward!

Frequently asked questions (FAQs):

  1. What if I need to speak with someone regarding a personal concern? Feel free to call 860-512-3320 to schedule an appointment with a professionally trained counselor, or you can visit the Advising & Counseling Services suite in SSC L120.  All information shared with a counselor is kept confidential, with the exception of a potential threat to yourself or others.
  2. When should I meet with an advisor/program coordinator regarding my interest in transferring to another college or university? In most instances, it is wise to start sooner than later. For example, if you are planning to transfer in Fall 2017, it would be important to start meeting no later than Fall 2016. This will give you an opportunity to discuss your plans and to make better decisions regarding upcoming courses.
  3. How do I change my major? You need to complete a Change in Curriculum form and submit it to the Registrar’s office.

Office Location

Advising and Counseling Services
Student Services Center, SSC L120