Get ready for college in six weeks! Free-of-charge for academically eligible students.
STARS supports students from admission to graduation from MCC. STARS begins with a six-week, pre-college summer program that runs from mid-June to mid-August and is designed to prepare you for the academic year ahead. Prior to beginning your first semester at MCC, you attend classes and workshops on campus Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The program provides you with the opportunity to:
- Practice and reinforce reading, writing and math skills
- Retake the English and math assessment tests to determine your placement in college-level courses
- Earn up to seven college credits including:
- ENG* 093: Introduction to College Reading and Writing
- Math Lab (three credits)
- Benefit from one-on-one guidance from tutors and peer mentors
- Develop time management and study skills
- Learn how to balance school work and family commitments
- Take cultural enrichment trips
- Enjoy campus activities
- Get comfortable with your future
- Feel good about yourself
Once you complete the summer program and continue studying at MCC, you will take a one-credit study skills course in the fall and participate in ongoing trips, tutoring and enrichment workshops. As an added advantage, a program coordinator will continue to support and guide you as you progress toward earning your degree.
Note: STARS is a U.S. Department of Education TRIO program.
Are You Eligible?
To participate in STARS, you must satisfy the following income and academic criteria:
- Eligible for financial aid and/or first generation college student
- Placement results place you in developmental courses
Once you qualify to participate in STARS, there are no charges for:
- Classroom supplies (notebooks, folders, pencils, etc.)
- CT Transit bus pass during the summer program duration
- Tuition coverage for up to seven college credits
- Cultural enrichment activities and trips
Easy Steps to Apply
- Complete the MCC Admissions Application
- Complete the Student Support Services Application
- Complete the STARS Letter of Recommendation
Please email or call a coordinator below. We’ll be happy to help you out.
Hours: Monday Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m..
Office SSC, L219b
Leo E. Jones
Office SSC, L219f
Great Path, MS #8
P.O. Box 1046
Manchester, CT 06045-1046
We will also be happy to send you additional information through the mail if you complete the form below.