Academic Warning, Probation and Suspension

Support for students on warning, probation or suspension.

We encourage students to engage fully in your academic pursuits at MCC. The Guided Pathways (GP) Advising  staff are available to meet with students who are on academic warning, probation, or suspension in person or virtually via Webex/Microsoft Teams or phone call to recommend strategies and campus resources that can help them succeed.

Areas of Focus

  • Academic Warning, Probation and Suspension Appeals
  • Request for Reinstatement

Academic Outcome Report

Letters are sent to your college email address and/or home address at the end of each semester with detailed information on your current academic standing and resulting credit restrictions. Please contact the Financial Aid Office, Veterans OASIS or other payment sources to discuss the impact of your academic standing on your ability to pay for your course(s).

Academic Appeal

A student may request to appeal their academic standing for different reasons, all of which are explained on the appeals page. Fill out and submit the online academic appeal form and a member of the Guided Pathways Advising team will get back to you. Appeals for reinstatement after being suspended and taking time off should be submitted as soon as possible.


Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA), as well as academic progress, can affect academic standing. Based on cumulative GPA,  a student’s academic standing is in jeopardy if:

Cumulative Credit Hours Cumulative Grade Point Average Academic Status
Less than 12 0.0-1.49 Warning
12-30.99 0.0-1.69 Probation*
31 or more 0.0-1.99 Probation*

*Students who are on academic probation and who, at the close of the next semester in which the student is registered, have not attained the overall GPA to move back into good standing have earned suspension for one fifteen-week semester.

A student may return to MCC after suspension by meeting with their Guided Pathways Advisor. As long as a student is progressing in both policy areas, they may put in a Request for Reinstatement by the announced deadline date each semester.

Continual W, I, UF and F Grades can spiral a student into Progress Probation. A student will be placed on Progress Suspension after four consecutive semesters of Progress Probation.

To learn more, view our academic policies.

Contact Information

Please feel free to contact us with any questions regarding your academic standing and options for reinstatement.

Phone: 860-512-3320 (calls being retrieved and answered)
Contact Person: Caridad Rivera