Rules and Regulations

MCC Police Rules and Regulations


The MCC Police and the Town of Manchester should be notified immediately of any emergency or of any situation that might jeopardize the safety of persons or property on campus.

To Report a Police, Fire, or Medical Emergency to MCC Police

  • From campus phone: Dial 23111
  • From cell phone: Dial 860-512-3111
  • From blue pole emergency phone: Push the call button

To Report to Town of Manchester 911 Dispatch Center

  • From campus phone: Dial 911
  • From cell phone: Dial 911

Notification of an Emergency on Campus

There are a variety of methods and tools available to notify the college community about an emergency on campus. These include:

  • The fire alarm horns and public address system;
  • The telephone emergency paging system;
  • Text messaging with myCommNet Alert;
  • The college email system;
  • The MCC and MCC Police homepages ( and;
  • Hard-copy postings on doors and bulletin boards and on campus monitors;
  • Bull horns and cruiser public address system;
  • Person-to-person contact by Emergency Response Team members; and
  • Various radio and television stations.

Emergency Evacuation

When an alarm or warning is given to evacuate a building:

  • Leave the building immediately by the nearest exit and alert others to do the same.
  • Remain calm and evacuate to a safe location away from the building (e.g., nearest parking lot, another building).
  • Assist others who may need help in evacuating.
  • Do not use the phone system except to sound the alarm or report the location of casualties or people with disabilities who may need assistance.
  • Do not use the elevator.
  • Do not enter or return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by public safety officials.

Non-Evacuation Emergencies

There are emergency situations for which evacuation is not appropriate (e.g., chemical spill, weapons incident, severe weather). In these situations, a notification of a shelter-in-place emergency response may be issued using a variety of methods to provide appropriate guidance based upon the incident type.


When you receive notification to shelter-in-place, you will be advised of the reason for the notification, and you may be advised of specific actions you should take.

In the event that the shelter-in-place is because of a fire, the goal is to seal the entryway against smoke to the extent possible and to call attention to where you are located.

  • Use clothing (wet, if possible), tape or any other available material to seal an entryway against smoke.
  • Place something (e.g. a piece of cloth or paper) in a window or on a door that would signal your location to rescuers.

In the event that the shelter-in-place is because of a hazardous material spill, the goal is to keep the room sealed to the extent possible.

  • Use clothing (wet, if possible), tape or any other available material to seal your location.
  • Await notification that it is safe to evacuate.

Armed Hostile Intruder

Over the past several years, there have been a number of extreme violent acts committed on high school and college campuses across the country. While it’s not possible to cover every possible situation that might occur, there are emergency procedures and guidelines that may increase one’s chances of survival in a hostile intruder situation. As in any emergency situation, your actions may need to be adapted based on the dynamics of the situation at hand.

What to do if you are exposed to the immediate threat of an armed hostile intruder:

  • You must decide the best course of action for your own immediate safety.
  • Be aware of your surroundings. Figure out what’s happening and what you can do to protect yourself.
  • If you think you can safely escape from the threat area, then run.
  • If you cannot safely escape from the threat area, then hide.
  • Alert MCC Police at 860-512-3111 (x23111 from campus phone) as soon as possible and provide as much information as possible on your location, if there are injured, and any details on the situation or description of the threat and its location.

If you decide to run (evacuate):

  • Leave personal items behind.
  • Do not run in a straight line.
  • Use cover, if possible. Try to keep objects between you and the hostile person.
  • Once you have escaped and if you have direct knowledge of the intruder’s description and location, call MCC Police at 860- 512-3111 (x23111 from campus phone) or Town of Manchester 911 and give that information to the operator.

If you decide to hide (shelter-in-place):

  • Secure (lock and/or barricade) your office, classroom or other place of refuge, if possible.
  • Block the doorway using whatever is available (e.g., desks, chairs, table, cabinets, books).
  • Keep the room dark and silent. Turn off the lights, turn off any equipment that makes noise or light (e.g., projectors, radios, computers and monitors), silence cell phones and close any window treatments.
  • Stay quiet and out of sight. Locate yourself and others with you where there are solid walls or objects to hide behind.
  • Do not leave the room until told to do so by police or emergency services personnel.
  • If you can do so without placing yourself in further danger, call MCC Police at 860-512-3111 or Town of Manchester 911 and tell the operator where you are and what’s happening.

If you are in an open area:

  • Seek protection.
  • Consider trying to escape if you know where the intruder is, and you think you have an escape route available.
  • If you don’t think you can escape, hide. Find the safest place available and secure it the best way you can.
  • If at all possible, do not put yourself in a room with no alternate means of escape or method of securing the door.
  • If you are caught by the intruder or are in close proximity to the intruder, you must decide if you are going to fight back or not.

If you are not going to fight back:

  • Obey all the intruder’s commands.
  • Avoid eye contact with the intruder.
  • Be patient.
  • Avoid drastic action.
  • Follow instructions and be alert.
  • Wait for law enforcement to resolve the situation.

If you choose to fight back:

  • Do whatever is necessary to defeat the intruder.
  • If you are with others: spread out; make a plan; act as a team; and take action.

What to do when the police arrive:

  • Do not expect officers to assist you immediately. Responding officers’ primary job is to locate the hostile intruder and to neutralize the threat. Medical assistance will follow once the threat is neutralized.
  • Law enforcement personnel must assume everyone is a threat to their safety. When they enter your area, do not present a threat to them.
  • Do not point at them or the shooter.
  • Do not make quick movements.
  • Do not run towards them or attempt to hug them.
  • Do not scream or yell.
  • Do not have anything in your hands.
  • You should be quiet and compliant and do exactly as the officers say. Remember that officers have no way of immediately knowing if you are one of the shooters.

Evacuation from the area:

  • Remain in secure areas until instructed otherwise by law enforcement personnel.
  • Know that evacuation may be time consuming.
  • You may be escorted out of the building, and you may be taken to a staging or holding area for medical care, interviewing, counseling, etc.
  • Once you have been evacuated, you will not be permitted to retrieve items or access the area until law enforcement personnel release the crime scene.

Crime Alerts and Timely Warnings

In the event that a situation arises either on or off campus, which is judged by the Police Chief to constitute an ongoing or continuing threat, a campus-wide “timely warning” will be issued.

  • Depending upon the situation, the media used may include: “All Points” email to faculty and staff; Blackboard Learn messages to students; the MCC and MCC Police websites ( and; written notices on campus monitors; and in-person warnings from police personnel.
  • Anyone with information warranting a timely warning or campus alert should report the circumstances to the MCC Police by calling 860-512-3680 or in person at their office, SSC L170.

Non-Emergency Calls for Assistance

Call the MCC Police at 860-512-3680 (x23680 from campus phone).

Crime Prevention

Report any suspicious activities, persons or vehicles on campus to the MCC Police immediately. Crime prevention is a community effort and the police would always prefer checking on something that turned out to be nothing rather than not learning about a situation that turned out to be serious. If in doubt, call the MCC Police non-emergency number, 860-512-3680.

Lost and Found

Lost and Found is located at the MCC Police Department, SSC L174. Any found item should be turned in. If an item has been lost, its loss should be reported with enough descriptive information that it can be returned to its owner if found.

College Building Hours

Summer Hours

Effective Friday, May 26, 2023 through August 20, 2023.
See the website homepage for holidays and scheduled closings.

Monday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.*  (doors locked at 7:30 p.m.)
Tuesday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.*  (doors locked at 7:30 p.m.)
Wednesday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.*  (doors locked at 7:30 p.m.)
Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.*  (doors locked at 7:30 p.m.)
Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.*     (doors locked at 4:30 p.m.)
Saturday Closed* (Except for enrollment events)
Sunday Closed

*Hours subject to change.

Campus Safety Rules and Regulations

Sexual Assault Investigation and Prevention

Sexual assault continues to be a great concern on college campuses throughout the U.S. It also continues to be an under-reported crime with many rapes and sexual assaults never reported to the police. The college and its MCC Police Department urge anyone who is the victim of such an assault to report the incident to the police. The police will vigorously investigate all reported sexual assault cases and will work closely with victims, other law enforcement agencies and the courts.

If you are the victim of a sexual assault:

  • Whether or not you choose to report the sexual assault to the police, you should seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not feel you have been seriously injured.
  • A medical exam is important to check for sexually transmitted diseases or other infection/injuries and for pregnancy.
  • Medical evidence needs to be collected within 72 hours of an assault in case you decide now or later to pursue a police complaint.
  • To preserve evidence, you should not wash, bathe, douche, brush your teeth, use mouthwash, comb your hair, change your clothes, or take other action to clean up before going to the hospital.
  • If you may have been given drugs to facilitate an assault (“date rape drug”), it is best to wait and urinate when you reach the hospital where a urine sample can be collected.
  • If you are a sexual assault victim, the police will not reveal your name to others except as required by law. Even court records are afforded some degree of protection. Similarly, if you choose to report your victimization to a faculty/staff member, they will not reveal your identity to the police or others without your permission. The police and faculty/staff may share some demographic data for purposes of crime statistics, but this does not include a sexual assault victim’s identity.

There are victim services available to assist a victim in dealing with a sexual assault.

Office of Victim Services OVS): Office of Victim Services (OVS), Connecticut Judicial Branch, is the state’s lead agency established to provide services to victims of violent crime. OVS is located in Wethersfield, Connecticut and can be reached  at 1-800-822-8428.

Connecticut Sexual Assault Crisis Services, Inc. (CONNSACS): CONNSACS is a state-wide coalition of individual sexual assault crisis programs that work to end sexual violence through victim assistance, community education and public policy advocacy. It provides a statewide 24-hour, toll-free hotline (1-888-999-5545 for English and 1-888-568- 8332 for Español). Its services include crisis intervention, short-term counseling and support groups. CONNSACS also works within the court setting to provide support, information and referrals.

Sex Offender Registration: The Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2000 requires institutions of higher education to issue a statement at the start of each semester, advising the campus community that law enforcement information provided by the State concerning registered sex offenders may be obtained from the MCC Police. It also requires sex offenders already required to register in the State to provide notice of each institution of higher education in that State at which the person is employed, carries a vocation or is a student. In the State of Connecticut, convicted sex offenders must register with the State of Connecticut’s Department of Public Safety-Connecticut Sex Offender Registry Unit.

Crime Statistics

  • The MCC Police Department is responsible for collecting crime statistics, identifying reportable crimes, reporting crimes to the FBI and the Department of Education, and publishing crime statistics to the public. Under law, these statistics must be reported in the categories specified by each agency.
  • FBI’s Uniform Campus Crime Report statistics include ONLY crimes occurring on the campus that are reported to the police.
  • The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1990, also known as the “Clery Act” is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses and to provide the institution’s policies concerning campus security. MCC’s Annual Security Report, prepared to meet these disclosure requirements, can be accessed online, or a copy of this report is available, upon request, at the MCC Police Department office (SSC L174).

Other Police Services


Officers are available to escort faculty, staff, students and visitors to and from campus parking areas upon request. You may call x23680 or come to the MCC Police Department to request an escort.

Student Messages

MCC Police cannot deliver messages to students except in the case of an extreme emergency. If it is an immediate emergency, the MCC Police will attempt to locate a student in class. Students should provide family and friends with their exact schedule and locations on campus so they could be readily contacted if necessary.

Vehicle Jump-starts

MCC Police do not jump-start vehicle batteries. They can provide a Power-Pak for a motorist to use.

Vehicle Unlocks

MCC Police do not provide vehicle unlocks. The MCC Police will contact a towing service that does provide the service at a cost to the motorist.