Get ready for college in six weeks!
Free-of-charge for academically eligible students age 17 to 24!
STARS supports students from admission to graduation from MCC. STARS begins with a six-week, pre-college summer program that runs from mid-June to mid-August and is designed to prepare you for the academic year ahead. Prior to beginning your first semester at MCC, you attend classes and workshops on campus Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and take educational trips Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The program provides you with the opportunity to:
- Practice and reinforce reading, writing and math skills
- Retake the English and Math assessment tests to determine your placement in college-level courses
- Earn up to 7 college credits including:
- ENG* 093: Introduction to College Reading and Writing
- Math Lab (3 credits)
- Benefit from one-on-one guidance from tutors and peer mentors
- Develop time management and study skills
- Learn how to balance school work and family commitments
- Take cultural enrichment trips
- Enjoy campus activities
- Get comfortable with your future
- Feel good about yourself
Once you complete the summer program and continue studying at MCC, you will take a 1-credit study skills course in the fall and participate in ongoing trips, tutoring and enrichment workshops. As an added advantage, a program coordinator will continue to support and guide you as you progress toward earning your degree.
Note: STARS is a U.S. Department of Education Trio program.
Are You Eligible?
To participate in STARS, you must satisfy the following income and academic criteria:
- Recent high school graduate age 17 to 24
- Eligible for financial aid and/or first generation college student
- Accuplacer test results place you in developmental English courses ENG* 093 or ENG* 096
Once you qualify to participate in STARS, there are no charges for:
- Classroom supplies (notebooks, folders, pencils, etc.)
- CT Transit bus pass during the summer program duration
- Tuition coverage for up to 7 college credits
- Cultural enrichment activities and trips
Easy Steps to Apply
- Complete the MCC Admissions Application
- Sign up to take the MCC Assessment Test (English and Math Accuplacer)
- Complete the STARS Application
- Complete the STARS Letter of Recommendation
For more information or to set up an appointment, please visit or call our office.
Location and Hours: Student Services Center (SSC), L108, Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Office Phone: For general information, please call 860-512-3330.
Program Coordinator: To call or email our staff, please use the contact information below.
STARS Summer Program
Manchester Community College
First Year and New Student Programs
Great Path, MS #8
P.O. Box 1046
Manchester, CT 06045-1046
We will also be happy to send you additional information through the mail if you complete the form below.