Welcome! The Respiratory Care program is a two-year associate degree program designed to meet the standards of the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) “CoARC accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcome based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented.”
The program offers students a combination of strong classroom preparation and rigorous clinical experience in a wide variety of healthcare settings.
Students who graduate from the Respiratory Care program are trained to care for patients with heart and lung diseases. Respiratory Therapists evaluate and treat patients of all ages, from premature infants with underdeveloped lungs to elderly people suffering from chronic breathing and other cardiopulmonary conditions.
Manchester Community College has been recognized with the Distinguished Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) Credentialing Success Award from the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). The award recognizes MCC’s superb pass rate on the RRT credentialing exam. The college’s program has previously been recognized by CoARC in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, & 2021.
The Respiratory Care program at MCC is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care. Students who successfully complete the MCC Respiratory Care program are eligible to take the national credentialing examinations offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care. The MCC Respiratory Care number is 200044.
Find out about a career in Respiratory Care.
Application to Program
Be sure to complete the following FIVE steps prior to the application deadline of March 15, 2022.
- Attend a virtual Respiratory Care information session by March 15, 2022.
- Complete Respiratory Care program prerequisites.
- All candidates must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Respiratory Care program prerequisites include the following MCC courses or their equivalent, if transferring:
- MAT* 109: Quantitative Literacy or higher (All math courses must be completed with a “C” or better.)
- Eligibility for BIO* 211: Anatomy and Physiology I (All science courses must be 4 credits, include a lab, completed with a “C” or better and taken in Spring 2017 or later.)
- Eligibility for ENG* 101: English Composition
- Submit the MCC General Application for Admission by March 15, 2022, and choose ‘General Studies: Allied Health’ for your major. [Please note: you will automatically be admitted to the college once required supplemental items are provided, but must apply for the Respiratory Care program separately (step 5 below).]
- Submit official copies of transcripts by March 15, 2022. Electronic transcripts are encouraged, but paper copies are acceptable.
- For electronic transcripts, visit your previous institutions’ websites for instructions on how to order online transcripts.
- To mail a transcript, please send to Manchester Community College Admissions Office, Attn: Allied Health, Great Path MS#12, P.O. Box 1046, Manchester, CT 06045.
- Current MCC students may submit unofficial transcripts to Nancy LaRoche-Shovak at email@example.com.
5. Submit the online Respiratory Care Application by March 15, 2022. *The application period has closed. Please consider attending an information session and applying next year by March 2023.
Questions: Email Nancy LaRoche-Shovak, MS, RRT, Respiratory Care Program Coordinator, or call 860-512-2714.
Respiratory Care Program
Director of Clinical Education
Respiratory Care Program