Welcome! The Respiratory Care program is a two-year associate degree program designed to meet the standards of the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). CoARC “accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcome based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented.”
The program offers students a combination of strong classroom preparation and rigorous clinical experience in a wide variety of healthcare settings.
Students who graduate from the Respiratory Care program are trained to care for patients with heart and lung diseases. Respiratory Therapists evaluate and treat patients of all ages, from premature infants with underdeveloped lungs to elderly people suffering from chronic breathing and other cardiopulmonary conditions.
Manchester Community College has been recognized with the Distinguished Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) Credentialing Success Award from the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). The award recognizes MCC’s superb pass rate on the RRT credentialing exam. The college’s program has previously been recognized by CoARC in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
The Respiratory Care program at MCC is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care. Students who successfully complete the MCC Respiratory Care program are eligible to take the national credentialing examinations offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care. The MCC Respiratory Care number is 200044.
Find out about a career in Respiratory Care.
Application to Program
Be sure to complete the following FIVE steps prior to the application deadline of March 15, 2022.
- Attend a virtual Respiratory Care information session by February 1, 2023.
- Complete Respiratory Care program prerequisites.
- All candidates must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Respiratory Care program prerequisites include the following MCC courses or their equivalent, if transferring:
- ENG*101 English Composition completed
- MAT*138 or higher (All math courses must be completed with a “C” or better.)
- Must have CHE*111 or higher completed
- Must have BIO*211 completed
- All science courses must be 4 credits, include a lab, completed with a “C” or better and taken in Spring 2018 or later.
- Review the application process for selective admissions for Fall 2023 and beyond for CT State: Application Process
- Submit the General Application for Admission/Selective Admissions Application by February 1, 2023. Online applications for Respiratory Care will be available October 1, 2022.
- Submit official copies of transcripts by February 1, 2023.Only electronic transcripts are acceptable.
- TEAS test results must be submitted by February 1, 2023. Minimum score is 53.03 and must be taken within 3 years of application.
Questions: Email Nancy LaRoche-Shovak, MS, RRT, Respiratory Care Program Coordinator, or call 860-512-2714.
Respiratory Care Program