Students, faculty and staff in the Connecticut Community College system will find it easier to access course and account information with the introduction of the new system portal, myCommNet, which goes live November 21.
myCommNet (http://my.commnet.edu) is a web portal that gives users the ability to access college online services with a single sign-on. Using one ID and password, myCommNet users can use their existing NetID accounts, and eliminate the need to maintain separate passwords accounts to access the various college services, including Banner Student Self-Service, WebCT Vista, and the off-campus Library Electronic Information Databases.
The new portal will also allow users the flexibility to configure the display of information, personalize the features and tailor the site to meet their personal preferences and needs.
Community College Chancellor Marc S. Herzog stated, “myCommNet will become the entry-point for each of our students, faculty and staff to access the full range of dynamic information and services that are relevant to them in their respective roles. “
Students and faculty will find it easier to communicate and interact with individuals in the classroom, check academic progress as well as manage college finances. Staff can also use myCommNet to conduct college business, and enhance communication at all levels of the Community College system.
Some of the myCommNet features include:
• MyCourses: Check class materials, receive class-related messages, review syllabi, interact with classmates, and participate in online discussion forums through WebCT Vista.
• Student Self-Service: Apply for admission, check on the status of financial aid; register, add and drop classes; check academic progress; view account and make payments; and access grades and transcripts.
• College Libraries and Online Databases: Conduct a quick search of a college’s library catalog, and tap into the online research materials and other resources that the college library has available.
• College websites: Access the individual college websites through myCommNet.
• Customization: The myCommNet home page is also the source for announcements and other information and each page can be customized. The various channels and boxes of information found on the myCommNet pages can be moved, deleted or resized to meet the users’ needs.
• Online Tutorials: Inside myCommNet, these tutorials demonstrate the full range of features.
Preparation for myCommNet has been in the works for two years, and representatives from the 12 colleges and the community college system office were heavily involved in the development of this online service. For more information on myCommNet, visit www.commnet.edu/portal.
Students of any age who possess the desire to pursue higher education are welcome at Manchester Community College. MCC is proud of its academic excellence, new facilities, flexible schedules, small classes, low tuition and faculty with both academic and “real world” credentials. The College offers over 60 programs, transfer options, financial aid and scholarships, as well as access to baccalaureate degrees through guaranteed admissions programs with several universities. MCC is situated on a park-like campus and is easily accessible from I-84.
— # # # —