We know that you are excited about starting college and about choosing courses that are right for you. To get you off to a great start, we are requiring you to attend our mandatory, two-part New Student Orientation session: , Part 1: Get Started! Select Your Courses and Part 2: Cougar Class.
Prior to attending Part 1 of orientation you are required to:
Part 1: Get Started! Select Your Courses
During this part of orientation, you will receive new student academic advising, which will provide you with an understanding of how to achieve your academic goals and help you select your courses for your first semester. Topics will include:
- Overview of your associate degree and certificate choices
- Description of degree and certificate course requirements and credits
- Explanation of English and math placements as determined by your test results
To help you gain confidence navigating our college system, we will teach you how to use our online tools and gain proficiency in the following skills:
- How to look up your degree or certificate in the online catalog
- How to determine if you have completed course prerequisites
- How to search for courses and build your course schedule
- How to register for classes through myCommNet, MCC’s student information portal
Part 2: Cougar Class (Sign up ONLY after attending Part 1)
During Cougar Class, you will learn about our college community and college life and the opportunities for become involved. Topics will include:
- State and federal mandated information (Title IX, Shelter in Place, etc.)
- Services and programs offered on campus and through the community
- Co-curricular activities and why it’s important to participate
- Academic policies
We look forward to meeting you.
If you need to confirm, cancel or reschedule a New Student Orientation session, please notify us online.
For more information and to set up an appointment, please visit or call our office.
Student Services Center (SSC), L108
Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
For general information, please call 860-512-3330.
Part 1: Select Your Courses
Director, First Year and New Student Programs
New Student Orientation Coordinator
Part 2: Cougar Class
Trent “T.J.” Barber
Director, Student Activities