Student employment plays an important role in the day-to-day functioning of MCC and participating community agencies/schools. The placement process below ensures that the students depending on the income and experience derived from their work-study employment to help cover the cost of attendance. and the many college departments that rely on their student employees to operate at full potential, have the information they need for a successful partnership.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov and submit any other required documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Check your eligibility for Work Study and submit your Work Study Application/Statement of Understanding and resume to the Financial Aid Office. Note that you must be registered for six (6) credits or more to be eligible. The Career Services Office (SSC L120) may assist you with the development of a resume. They also offer workshops to help you improve your interviewing skills and resume preparation. You may be required to participate in a workshop.
- Be sure to log into your MCC student email account to check for announcements about available Work Study positions. Post your resume on College Central Network (CCN): www.collegecentral.com/manchester. (See details below.) Be proactive! Check placement opportunities in the CCN system regularly and send your resume to potential employers through the site. Please note that not all positions posted on the site are Work Study positions.
- Prepare before attending any interviews. Review the job description, dress business casual, and bring a copy of your updated resume.
- If you are offered a position, your supervisor is responsible for contacting the Financial Aid Office to request the Work Study Approval Packet. The packet will be emailed to your supervisor who will contact you to schedule a time for you to complete and sign the required paperwork together. Some departments may require background checks. The Work Study award will only appear once the Work Study Approval Packet is generated for your supervisor. It is not a part of the initial financial aid package.
- Once hired visit the Payroll Office, SSC L125, to complete the Payroll Hire forms. Be sure to bring two forms of ID. You may be asked to complete a policy/regulations online training for Human Resources.
- Your supervisor will be responsible for returning the Work Study Approval Packet forms to the Financial Aid Office. (If you are working off-campus, the Financial Aid Office will then send the NOE form to the Dean’s Office for signature.) When returned, the paperwork will be processed and sent to the Payroll Office. Payroll will give authorization to the supervisor for you to begin working. Important: Do not begin working until your supervisor has received authorization from the Payroll Office.
Your next job may only be a mouse click away. Visit www.collegecentral.com/manchester and register to:
- view up-to-date listings of local and national full-time, part-time and seasonal job openings, Work-Study positions on or off-campus, or internships that suit your interests and experience
- upload your resume for employers to view
- participate in virtual job fairs
- receive job search advice
- learn more about upcoming workshops, events and career fairs at MCC and other local institutions
This service is free and accessible from any computer with internet access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need help registering or if you have any questions, please email the Career Services Office at email@example.com.