Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that financial aid can be a bit confusing. We’ve compiled a list of our most frequent questions here and answered them for you to view. If you still have questions, we are always here to help!

Your FAFSA school code is changing!
Use 007635 for your 2023-24 FAFSA.

How do I apply for financial aid and what are the deadlines?
You can apply by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To access the application, visit The FAFSA is an application that should be completed annually in order to determine eligibility for federal, state and institutional financial aid. Personal information, income information and electronic signatures are required to complete the electronic application (i.e. taxes, W2s). After your application has been processed by the Federal Processing Center, your results are forwarded to the colleges that you select on your FAFSA within 1-2 weeks. If after two weeks of submitting your application our Financial Aid Office has not received your results, you must contact the Federal Processing Center by calling 1-800-433-3243 and inquire about the status of your application. You must submit this application before the beginning of each academic year.

  • The FAFSA takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.
  • Each student must create and use an FSA ID (username and password) to sign the FAFSA electronically.  If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID to sign your child’s FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same parent FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address.  When completing the application, you will be prompted to create the FSA ID.
  • The application priority deadline for the fall is May 15 and for the spring is October 1.
  • Completing the FAFSA does not guarantee eligibility, and it does not mean you have been awarded financial aid by the institution you will be attending.
  • To ensure that MCC receives your FAFSA, be sure to add our school code:
    • Important Announcement for 2023-24 FAFSA Applicants:  If you are intending on applying for federal financial aid for the Fall 2023 semester and beyond, you must use federal school code 007635 on your 2023-24 FAFSA.  We are aware that this federal school code will identify Capital Community College on the FAFSA, however we have been advised that the US Department of Education will update the college name on the FAFSA in the summer of 2023.  If you do not list federal school code 007635 on your 2023-24 FAFSA, we will be unable to process your financial aid application for your Fall 2023 semester and the 2023-2024 academic year.  The Manchester Community College school code for 2022-2023 will remain 001392.
I don’t think I qualify for aid. Should I apply anyway?
Yes. Many students think they do not qualify and hinder their chances of receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. Students who are not eligible for federal funds may be eligible for state or institutional funding, or possibly student loans.  The application is free.
Do I need to be admitted to the college before I can apply for financial aid?
Not necessarily.  You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1 (for students enrolling the next fall and spring semesters).  However, for you to be awarded, you must be admitted and matriculated into a financial-aid-eligible associate degree or certificate program at MCC.
Do I need to be enrolled full-time to be eligible for financial aid?
Financial aid is awarded based on full-time enrollment. If a student is enrolled less than full time, generally the award will be adjusted according to the enrollment. For example, if you are enrolled half-time (six credits), the amount disbursed will be half the amount awarded.  Note that some students with high EFC (expected family contribution) numbers may need to register for a certain number of credits in order to be eligible for financial aid.  If not enrolled full time, the aid awarded may be adjusted after the start of the semester based on actual enrollment.  This can sometimes result in an additional bill for the student.  *Please consult with Financial Aid staff to discuss your enrollment and its affect on your financial aid eligibility every semester.
What does it mean to “maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress”?
Your financial aid status must indicate “Satisfactory Progress” in order for you to receive aid.  See standards in table below:

Standards for Associate Degree Seeking Students
Credits attempted Minimum cumulative GPA Minimum completion pace
0-11.99 0.0 0%
12-30.99 1.7 50%
31-49.99 2.0 50%
50-59.99 2.0 60%
60+ 2.0 67%
Standards for Certificate Seeking Students
Credits attempted Minimum cumulative GPA Minimum completion pace
0-11.99 0.0 0%
12+ 2.0 67%

If you are on financial aid “warning” or “probation/waiver” you may receive aid; however, during that period of warning or probation/waiver, which will be your next semester of enrollment, you must pass all classes. If you fail to do so, it will result in a termination of your financial aid due to your “unsatisfactory progress” status.

Do I need to provide my parents’ financial information on the FAFSA?
Federal regulations dictate that if you are under the age of 24 and you are not married, not a veteran, not a ward of the court, not a graduate or professional student, do not have children or legal dependents, and truthfully answered “No” to all of the dependency questions on the FAFSA, you are considered a dependent student and must provide parent information on the FAFSA.  If you answer “Yes” to one or more of the dependency questions on the FAFSA, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation (i.e. legal guardianship court document, parent death certificates).
Will financial aid cover tuition, fees and books?
If you are eligible for financial aid, you will be awarded with a financial aid package based on full time enrollment (12 credits or more per semester).  This package may cover tuition, fees and books.  After your financial aid has been fully processed and you’ve been awarded, you may register.  If you register and your financial aid has not been processed, you will be responsible to pay for tuition, fees and books.  Watch for deadlines and become familiarized with the fee policy available to you in the catalog. Students who have financial aid left over after the costs for tuition and fees are covered will be able to use this credit at the campus bookstore and bookstore website.The book credit cannot be used at a different website or through another bookstore. To use the book credit, visit the bookstore with a copy of your schedule and photo ID during the designated book credit dates and indicate that you will be using your book credit eligibility to cover the cost of books. Note: Not all students are eligible for the book credit. If you have a bill after financial aid has been applied to your charges, you will not be eligible for the book credit.The book credit can only be used through the announced deadline each semester. After the deadline passes, you will need to purchase your books out-of-pocket. For deadline information, please visit the campus bookstore.
How do I view my financial aid award?
After submitting your application, you will be able to track your financial aid status and award information by using the myCommNet student information system at  When you have been awarded, you can use the following steps to view your financial aid award online:

  1. Go to
  2. Log in with your student NetID and password (ie. NetID:
  3. Click on “Banner Student & Faculty Self-Service”
  4. Click on “Financial Aid”
  5. Click on “Award Package”
How do I check if I have any pending requirements to complete my financial aid record and my satisfactory academic progress status?
  1. Go to
  2. Log in with your student NetID and password (ie. NetID:
  3. Click on “Banner Student & Faculty Self-Service”
  4. Click on “Financial Aid”
  5. Click on “Eligibility Requirements”
  6. View your financial aid requirements under the “Student Requirements” tab and your Satisfactory Academic Progress status under the “Academic Progress” tab. Any holds will be listed under the “Holds” tab.

myCommNet will list any outstanding documents required before we can determine your eligibility for financial aid. If you are selected for verification, you will be contacted by Inceptia, a third-party verification service, to complete your requirements online. It is your responsibility to complete the process with Inceptia in order to be awarded, should you be eligible.

I (or my parents) had a significant change in income that is not accurately reflected on the FAFSA application.
When financial circumstances change, the Financial Aid Office is available to help students and their families locate funding sources and understand the options available to them. Advice may include educating the student on how to apply for scholarships, recalculating a family’s eligibility based on documented financial changes, or counseling a family regarding available student loans and payment plans.

MCC will consider income reduction/unusual circumstances at any time during the academic year as long as funds are available.