Name Change

The name on your I-20 must match the name on your passport. If you change any part of your legal name – first/given name, middle name, or last/family name on your passport – you must request an updated I-20.

  1. Change your name on your passport.
  2. Submit a copy of your new passport to International Student Affairs with an email request for an updated I-20 to reflect your legal name change. Allow ten business days for International Student Affairs to process your request.
  3. Change your name in the Banner student information system by completing the Name/Address Change form. This step is necessary for your transcripts, diploma  and other university records to reflect your legal name change.
  4. Review your F-1 visa. If your current student visa is still valid, you can continue to travel with the valid visa (issued in your previous name) as long as you carry documentation of your legal name change when traveling. Immigration officials will need to see documentation of both names at the port of entry. If your student visa is expired, or if you want the visa to reflect your new name, follow the normal procedures for applying for a new visa using your new passport and I-20.