I-20 Extensions

You should never let your I-20 expire if you are still working on your academic program. If you need more time to complete your studies, you should apply for an extension of your I-20 with the International Student Affairs Office (ISAO). You should apply for an extension at least three months in advance of the expiration date of your current I-20.

How to Apply

  1. Talk to your academic advisor, or a counselor in Advising and Counseling Services. Discuss your academic plan to find out how many more semesters you need before completing your program.
  2. Provide the financial documentation sufficient to cover the cost of your remaining tuition, fees and living expenses for a year as you have done in the past. The financial documentation has to be current and the previous financial documentation submitted will not be valid. You will have to show that you (you, your family or your sponsor) have $32,000 in the bank to cover your tuition and fees, living expenses, books, transportation and medical insurance. Your sponsor will have to provide a new Affidavit of Support (USCIS Form I-134) and a bank letter with proof of funds for $32,000. along with a letter of support .
  3. Once you provide the requisite documents the ISAO will process your request within two weeks.
  4. The ISAO will not process your request for an I-20 extension if you apply for an extension after the expiration of your I-20.