A fitness professional is one who possesses the knowledge and skills to work one-on-one implementing safe and effective exercise and fitness programs; and who provides instruction and assistance to help individuals reach their personal health and fitness goals.
According to the Connecticut Department of Labor (DOL), the 2016 average hourly wage for Fitness Trainers/Aerobics Instructors is $23.44 per hour.
There are no prerequisites for this course: however, this course requires a high degree of commitment to successfully complete.
MCC’s 30-hour Personal Trainer National Certification program includes:
- Classroom lecture and practical fitness skills for real world settings;
- Lectures on topics including anatomy, exercise physiology, nutrition and health screening;
- National exam proctored during the final week of class;
- Final certification contingent upon CPR/AED certification and 30-hour internship at an area gym or fitness center. The instructor provides a list of organizations that partner with MCC.
- This course is approved for 6 continuing education units (CEUs) by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA); 16 CE hours by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB); and 6 CEUs by the International Association of Continuing Education and Training (IACET). You may contact WITS after completing the course to obtain your credential for CEUs or you may present your WITS certificate directly to your accrediting organization to confirm your CEUs.
This course usually meets Saturdays (full day) for six weeks. This challenging course comprises 15 hours of classroom lecture and 15 hours of practical training. A subsequent 30-hour internship (not included with this course) and proof of CPR/AED training will prepare you to work successfully in the fitness field.
Course Fee: $665
Textbook: approximately $110
Easy Ways to Register
Registration Information »
For more information about Personal Trainer certification, please see the Fitness & Recreation section of the Credit-Free Catalog.
Manchester Community College
Credit-Free Programs, Continuing Education
Program Coordinator of Personal & Professional Development and Community Programs