Participants must have a valid driver’s license or a motorcycle learner’s permit. Participants less than 18 years old must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver in order to be accepted into the class. All participants must complete the waiver form.
If you want to take the BRC using your own scooter, you must properly mark the MCC registration form, fill out the insurance information box on the State of Connecticut registration form, and sign a waiver at the driving range. The size of the scooter must be 250 cc. or smaller. The scooter must be registered and insured, with proof provided on the State of Connecticut registration form, and the scooter must pass a safety inspection by the instructors.
REGISTRATION FORMS AND SCHEDULE
FOLLOW COURSE INFORMATION
BRC students who successfully complete the course will have a waiver electronically sent to DMV. More information on this process will be explained in class. The waiver exempts the student from having to take the on-cycle skills test for motorcycle licensing. The knowledge skills portion and appropriate fees of the DMV license are still required.
Also upon successful completion of the course, students may be entitled to a 10% insurance discount; please contact your agent for details.
Important Facts about this Course
All levels of training present the necessary skills for survival on the street. Since the curriculum progresses at an aggressive pace, you should be aware of the following facts:
- Operating any vehicle brings with it responsibility and risk, including the risk of serious injury. All participants must sign the Waiver and Release of Liability form prior to participation. Adult riders need to complete the Adult Waiver form. For participants under 18 years of age, please use the Waiver for Minors form, and a parent or guardian must also sign the form.
- Riding a motorcycle is much more difficult than riding a bicycle or operating a car. It involves a great deal of hand/eye coordination. You must be able to balance a two-wheeled vehicle. If you can’t, please practice before attending.
- Always come to class in good physical condition—well rested, attentive, and able to fully participate.
- You will be required to push a motorcycle.
- You will be required to read and study the workbook provided.
- On average, about 75-80% of enrollees successfully complete this course. During the course you may discover or be told that riding a motorcycle is not for you. For your safety and the safety of others, the instructor may not allow you to continue.
- Classes are conducted in all weather conditions, so come to each session prepared! Bring rain gear, warm clothes (for cold days), water, lunch and a snack.
Essential Items Required for the Driving Component of Your Class
(Necessary only for the Driving Range sessions; if unsure about your items meeting the requirements, you may bring them to class for instructor approval)
Students without any one of the following items will not be allowed to ride:
- helmet (one will be provided if needed)
- eye protection (face shield, goggles, or glasses)
- long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- full-fingered gloves, leather preferred
- long, ankle-length pants (denim or other heavy material)
- leather boots or leather athletic shoes (over-the-ankle style)
Location of Classroom Sessions and On-Cycle Training
- All classroom sessions are scheduled at Manchester Community College (MCC). Be sure to check the room location on the confirmation letter that will be mailed to you after you have been enrolled in your course, and allow enough time to find your classroom when you arrive on campus.
- The on-cycle sessions are held at one of two Manchester locations: on the MCC campus (Parking Lot A) or at the commuter parking lot near the Buckland Hills Mall.
- The location of your on-cycle sessions will be noted on your confirmation letter, and will also be announced during the first classroom session at MCC. Maps and directions will be mailed to you with your confirmation letter.
Fees and Registration
- The BRC fee is $220.
- Please note that there are two registration forms: one for MCC and a second for the State of Connecticut, in addition to a Waiver Form. You must completely fill out all three forms, or your registration will be delayed.
- Payment is due at time of registration. Registrations are accepted by mail or fax only. Walk-in and online registration is not available. You may pay using a personal check, money order, or your MasterCard, Visa or Discover Card (credit-card information must be noted on the MCC registration form).
- Cash payments are not accepted.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. In addition to your first preference, please select a second and third choice, if possible. This can potentially save time if your first choice is full by the time MCC receives your registration. You will automatically be enrolled in your second or third choice if your higher choice is full.
PLEASE SAVE ALL DATES UNTIL YOUR COURSE IS CONFIRMED.
- Confirmation Letters will be mailed to you shortly after you have been enrolled in a section.
- YOU MUST ATTEND AND PARTICIPATE IN ALL SESSIONS, IN SEQUENCE. NO EXCEPTIONS. Any absence will require you to register for another course, pay again, and start from the beginning. If you know you will miss a session for any reason, do not enroll in that time slot; choose another session.
Important: For each registration, there are three forms to be returned:
- MCC Registration Form
- State of CT DOT Registration Form
- Waiver Forms (for Adults & Minors)
- Schedule of Classes
If you intend to enroll with a companion, both registrations must be submitted together to guarantee placement in the same class.
Registrations will only be processed when we receive all of the following:
- Your payment of $220. Please make check or money order payable to: MCC. If paying by credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card, or American Express), the card information is required on the MCC registration form. Cash payments are not accepted.
- A completed MCC registration form.
- A completed State of Connecticut registration form
- A completed Waiver for Adults Form. Or, if you are under 18 years of age, you must complete a Waiver for Minors Form, on which your parents or legal guardian must sign.
Mail Registration (with check payment or credit card information):
Manchester Community College
Attn: Motorcycle Rider Education Program
P.O. Box 1046, MS #16
Manchester, CT 06045-1046
Fax Registration (for credit card payment only):
If you are using a MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card, or American Express, you may fax your completed forms to us at 860-512-2801.
For more information, please call the voice message service at 860-512-3000, press “2,” then dial extension 8705, and leave a detailed message with contact information. We will respond to your inquiry as soon as we can.
PLEASE NOTE: ABSOLUTELY NO WEB OR EMAIL REGISTRATIONS ARE PERMITTED FOR THIS PROGRAM!
REFUND AND RESCHEDULING POLICY
Registered students may drop the course and receive a full refund if MCC’s Motorcycle Program is notified in writing (email, fax, or in-person) at least seven calendar days or more before the start date of the course.
If paid by credit card, then this account will be automatically credited; If paid by debit card or check, a refund check in the student’s name will be issued.
Refund requests made six days or less before the start date are not permitted.
After this deadline, refund requests, due to certain extreme circumstances, will follow the college’s Refund Policy Appeal procedure.
Students may reschedule their course, if necessary, on a one-time-only basis, seven calendar days or more before the start date.